The Jericho Benchmark

While thinking about how to approach the task of reviewing Black children's books, I decided to set standards first and foremost. I took inspiration from the forward-thinking Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE) who used a similar approach during their landmark 'Reflecting Realities' surveys concerning diversity in children's literature which were carried out between 2017-2019. 

Like CLPE, I've devised my own criteria and scoring system called the Jericho Benchmark, to ensure the books I recommend to teachers are of consistently high production quality and fully meet the brief of proper Black representation. 

So what does proper representation mean? Many of the books deemed by publishers to have a valid Black presence are written, illustrated and edited by white creatives. Consequently the end result is often well-meaning but tokenistic, with inaccurate racial/cultural references and, worse still, reduction of Black characters to lazy stereotypes. 

However, it's not all bad news. Handa's Surprise is a great example of a much-loved Black children's classic by white author-illustrator Eileen Browne, which successfully depicts village life of the south-west Kenyan Luo tribe from a child's perspective. What makes this book successful is that Kenyan people were heavily involved in research for her manuscript plus Browne herself has fervently campaigned for diversity and equality in children's literature for around forty years. 

So my main takeaway for the Jericho Benchmark (which consists of 11 specific standards) was that it must check that at least one Black creative (author, illustrator or editor) is involved in the book's production to ensure valid, fair and appropriate representation of Black characters. 

Black children must not only see themselves accurately represented in texts but they must also aspire to be the next generation of authors, writers and editors so we can have a hope of quashing systemic racism and racial inequality. If we are to diversify children's books we also need to diversify those involved in their creation. 

Some Black authors and illustrators whose work I'll be reviewing:
Some independent Black publishers and book shops I'll be spotlighting:
Why Jericho?
I chose the name Jericho for my benchmark test for all the expected connotations: I want to break down walls for Black people especially our young Black school-aged readers. But on a personal note, Jericho is my son's middle name. And as he is one of the main drivers for this new venture I thought it was only fitting to name an aspect of the process after him. 


Comments

  1. Well done Fabia. This kind of review is so overdue and it will make authors think more deeply and sensitively about what and how they write when it includes black people. It will also be an eye opener for white teachers who genuinely do not know what books to use. I remember when I was working at the same "well known publisher" that Malorie Blackman didn't want cross-hatching on the illustrations for the books we used of hers. She said that she tried not to identify which of her characters was black or white. They were all people. I have a mixed race grandson (his mother is Mongolian) and he doesn't appear to be aware of any difference between himself and the children in his class because the school he is a pupil of openly embraces and values everyone - it's not just rhetoric. I was once about to give a talk on my book about Cheltenham in the Great War at an all male Probus group. The Chairman decided to tell the audience a joke before introducing me - it was mildly amusing but was about Irish women. I pointed out that it may have gone unnoticed but I am female and guess what, Irish too! I asked if he would like me to reciprocate with a joke about elderly stiff upper lip Englishmen! He declined the invitation. Please don't stop what you're doing. As for me, I'm researching the slave-owners in Cheltenham who lived here after the 1835 Compensation Act after the "Abolition" (that's a joke) of Slavery Act. And I will give the talk to elderly stiff upper lip Englishmen in Cheltenham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neela, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! It means so much and spurs me on in my mammoth task! I have much to do but it needs doing! And I agree about teachers not knowing what to do. I think many are often nervous about using Black texts confidently so they revert to tried-and-tested safe options. They need to be encouraged to use more Black texts as teaching resources instead sticking them on library shelves and hoping for the best. Very interesting about Malorie Blackman and the Noughts and Crosses illustrations. Do you remember if they listened to her in the end? I read the trilogy a very long time ago and will definitely dig them out now that you've said that, as this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking at.

      Perhaps I'll see a post about the Cheltenham slave owners on your blog one day soon? Very interested to hear about what you uncover. Good luck with that! Stay well! Fabia

      Delete

Post a Comment