Review: Marcus Rashford: You Are A Champion, by Marcus Rashford with Carl Anka

I’m not that interested in celeb books for kids. I try to avoid them, in all honesty, although I made an exception for Floella Benjamin due to her vast experience in, and innate passion for, creating content for children.

However, I felt this positive and motivational debut written by Marcus Rashford with journalist Carl Anka deserved a proper look following the Euro 2021 results and the atrocious outpouring of racism towards three Black players including Rashford.

I’ve had the book for a while but found the start a little repetitive so put it down. Having now read through to the end, I think it’s an inspiring, refreshingly honest self-help guide, covering everything from building confidence and perseverance, to strategies for recovering from setbacks. 

I don’t think there’s anything particularly new in the practical exercises contributed by psychologist Katie Warriner, but it’s the way it’s all carefully packaged. That the advice is imparted by a famous young Black footballer who is moving mountains politically and on the pitch is what gives gravitas to the words on the page, encouraging children to really absorb the messaging and implement the suggested strategies. 

I can see how some of the exercises could be dipped into and incorporated into PSHE learning in Year 6. The chalkboard-style exercise pages with contemporary illustrations and infographics were also clear and engaging.

But what I loved most of all was just what a thoroughly lovely, moral and kind human being Marcus appears to be in his professional and personal life. The chapters where he refers to his mum and gran were particularly touching. 

At no point does he claim to be perfect. He acknowledges his weaknesses and encourages children to embrace theirs too, learning life lessons along the way so they can achieve their full potential. It’s an empowering read for pre-teens and teens and for that he can join Floella on my exclusive celeb bookshelf.

Thank you Macmillan Children's Books for my review copy.

Marcus Rashford: You Are a Champion, by Marcus Rashford with Carla Anka is available from Bookshop

Comments