Quality Black Texts for Upper KS2

Here's my specially curated list of Black texts suitable for use with upper KS2. 

All of these books feature Black protagonists/historical figures, and most have been created by a Black author/illustrator.

Some might disagree but personally, I don't believe in sticking any old text on a diverse book list just because it happens to have a brown face on the cover.

All of these texts have been scrupulously checked against a set of 11 standards to ensure they represent Black communities fairly and authentically. The books are listed in no particular order. They are all fantastic!

For tips on how they might be used, take a look at my detailed reviews including suggested links to the National Curriculum. The titles are also categorised in my Black Children's Book Directory.


Narrative:

High Rise Mystery by Sharna Jackson

When Life Gives You Mangoes by Kereen Getten

Zombierella by Joesph Coelho, illustrated by Freya Hartas

Freedom by Catherine Johnson


Non-fiction:

The Story of the Windrush by K.N. Chimbiri, illustrated by Corne-Enroc

Harriet Tubman: A Journey to Freedom by Sandra A. Agard

Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison

Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine, illustrated by Kadir Nelson (Y4 also)


Poetry:

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander, illustrated by Kadir Nelson


I hope you find my list useful. I'll be adding more books as and when I review them, so keep checking back here for more inspiration.





Comments